THE DIE IS BROADCAST

Thursday 18 April 2013

THE SIRENS CALL.

In Greek mythology, the Sirens were dangerous and beautiful creatures, portrayed as femmes fatales who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.

If you are like my good self you have always got a siren or sirens a calling. These sirens take earthly form as boardgames. Boardgames which are always calling, singing a sweet lullaby, always in the distance, always on the horizon luring you to spend that hard earned cash. Seeking to pull ones disposable income from the wallet and into the retailers sweaty little hands.

Recently I succumbed to the siren song to acquired a copy of  "Strike of the Eagle" a block wargame which I have been intrigued by for six months or more. I surrendered to the call recently and managed to snag a copy from a Geoff a gentleman in Belfast and hope to get it to the table at the next club get together. Strike of the Eagle is an operational level block wargame by Academy Games which allows the player to experience the tension of the Polish-Soviet War of 1920. Check out Marco Arnaudo's video review here  for more details.

 I have also been tempted by "Mice and Mystics". Mice and Mystics is a cooperative adventure game in which the players, in the guise of mice, work together to save an imperiled kingdom. This is a game for the family and one that my kids are quite keen that I buy, with pressure currently been applied by them. The appeal of this one was further strengthened by playing the dungeon crawler "Descent" Second edition at the club recently, a session which I really enjoyed.

A couple of other games are lingering on the wind and are calling. They include  "No Retreat -the Russian Front"  as well as the light euro game "K2". This list I'm sure will continue to grow.

  That is what's possibly coming in. Whats on the way out? I have begun to look at culling my own collection using Boardgamegeeks trading facility, to swap a few games which haven't done it for me. Among those on the block are "Small World", "King of Tokyo", "Napoleons War-The Hundred Days" and "Bang" the card game.

So what's a calling to you at the minute? What's pulling you towards the rocks?

No comments: